PROFESSIONAL ROLES AND VALUES
C304 V3 TASK 1
Professional Roles & Values
• 740.1.4 : Professional Accountability – The graduate analyzes the responsibilities and accountability of the
• 740.1.5 : Self Advocacy of the Nurse – The graduate integrates strategies of self-awareness and self-care into professional practice to ensure personal health and well-being.
• 740.1.7: Roles of the Nurse (WGU) – The graduate analyzes the roles of the nurse as a scientist, a detective, and a manager of the healing environment.
• 740.1.10: The Nursing Profession – The graduate applies historical and contemporary nursing theories and models to define their professional nursing practice.
• 740.1.13: The Professional Nurse – The graduate integrates knowledge, skills, and attitudes of the nursing profession into personal and professional interactions and ethical decision making.
• 740.1.15: Healthcare Work Environment – The graduate evaluates how the vision, values, mission, and philosophy of an organization align with an individual’s professional values, beliefs, and approaches to inter- professional collegiality
• 740.1.4: Professional Accountability – The graduate analyzes the responsibilities and accountability of the professional nurse.
APA Formatting & Task Information
Separate cover and reference page
Margins 1 inch
Font: Times New Roman, size: 12
double spaced throughout
Each reference must have a matching in-text
Write in first person (the candidate, your )
Write in third person (the nurse, nurses)
Use your rubric and task
directions to write your paper
Rubric – assessment criteria
Task Directions – how to meet the
Far left column rubric titles are
hyperlinked to the text
A. Nursing Theory
A. Identify and describe a nursing theory that has influenced the candidate’s values and goals.
A1. Excellent Nursing Practice
• Explain how nurses apply (use) the identified theory in Part A to plan excellent nursing practices.
A.2 Professional Practice Nursing Theory
• Discuss how the identified theory fits your professional practice.
Contributions of 19th or 20th Century Historical Nursing Figures
• B. Historical Nursing Figures
• Identify and describe the contributions of two historical nursing figures from the nineteenth
(1801-1900) or twentieth century (1901-2000).
• B1. Difference in Contributions
• Discuss how the two historical figures are different from one another (compare and contrast).
• B2. Description of Historical figures
• Discuss how the contributions of each of the two historical figures have
influenced your practice.
Nursing Organizations and Boards
• C. State Board of Nursing VS. American Nurses Association (ANA).
• Explain the functional differences between the State Board of Nursing (BON) and the
American Nurses Association.
• C1. Roles of Organizations.
• Define the roles of a board of Nursing and the American Nurses Association.
• BON (Scope of practice, education, disciplinary actions, etc.).
• ANA (Ethical guidelines, nursing values, advocacy).
• C2. BON & ANA Influence.
• Explain how the State Board of Nursing and the ANA influence the candidate’s nursing practice.
Professional License Renewal & Maintenance
• C3. Explain the requirements for professional license renewal in your state.
• In what state do you hold a license?
• How do you renew your license in your state?
• How often are you required to renew your license?
• Do you pay a fee?
• Do you need CEUs?
• C3a. Discuss the consequences of failure to maintain license requirements in your state.
• What are the consequences if you do not maintain/renew your license in your state?
• What would happen to your current license?
Compact VS. Non-Compact State
• C4. Compare the differences between registered nursing license requirements in compact
state versus a non-compact state.
• Is your state a compact or non-compact state?
• Discuss the differences for RN license requirements in a compact versus non-compact state.
Resource: Nurse Licensure Compact PDF https://www.ncsbn.org/NLC_What_Nurses_Need_to_Know.pdf
Agencies Functional Differences
• D. Discuss the functional differences between the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the
Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services(CMS).
• Discuss the function of the of the FDA.
• Discuss the function of CMS.
• D1. Discuss how the two regulatory agencies influence your professional nursing practice.
• What does the FDA regulate?
• What does CMS regulate?
Resources: CMS.Gov https://www.cms.gov/
National health programs
Health information technology
Guidelines for reimbursement
Medical device internet software
Nurse’s Role as a Patient Advocate
• D1a. Discuss your role as a patient advocate in promoting safety when a patient has requested to
use an alternative therapy.
• Discuss what a patient advocate is and how you could be a patient advocate for a patient who has
requested alternative therapy.
• What questions would you ask the patient?
• Who would you collaborate with?
FDA – Complementary and Alternative Medicine https://www.fda.gov/regulatoryinformation/guidances/ucm144657.htm
CMS – https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-andGuidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/ncd103c1_Part1.pdf
Purposes of the Nurse Practice Act & Scope of practice
• E. Discuss the purposes of the Nurse Practice Act in your state and its influence on your
• What is the Nurse Practice Act and what is its mission?
• How does the Nurse Practice Act influence your professional practice?
• E1. Discuss the scope of practice for an RN in the candidate’s state
• What is a scope of practice?
• What is included in the scope of practice for your state?
• How is the scope of practice different from a nurse practice act?
Nurse Practice Act Rules & Regulations https://www.ncsbn.org/nurse- practice-act.htm
Rules For Effective Delegation
• E2. Discuss how your state defines delegation for the RN.
• Discuss in detail the rules for delegation from your state.
• Think about:
• What steps does your state board require the RN to take when deciding what to delegate?
• To whom can the RN in your state delegate?
• What is the RNs responsibility after delegating a task? 20 (Figure 19.2)
Application of Nursing Roles
• F. Discuss how you apply (use) each of the following nursing roles in your professional practice.
• A scientist.
• A detective.
• A healing environment manager.
• Write a separate paragraph for each of the roles.
What role am I?
Resources: Nursing Conceptual Model Reference: Western Governors University. (n.d.). Nursing conceptual model. Retrieved from https://srm–
Reviewing EBP care guidelines
Patient safe area
Teamwork & collaboration
Patient centered care
ANA Code of Ethics Provisions & Analysis
• G. Identify two provisions from the American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics.
• Write a separate paragraph explaining each of the two (2) provisions you have chosen.
• G1. Analyze how the two (2) provisions identified in part G influence your professional
• Discuss in detail how the two provisions influence your nursing practice. (Examples:
commitment to the patient, accountability, patient dignity, integrity, human rights.
Resource: ANA Code of Ethics with Interpretive Statements. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/coe-view-only
Application of ANA Provisions
• G.2. Describe a nursing error that may occur in a clinical practice. • A clinical setting, skills lab, or simulation.
• What are some examples of nursing errors?
• G2a. Explain how [both] ANA provisions identified in G can be applied (used) to the error
discussed in part G2.
• Who would you collaborate with or approach?
• What is your responsibility to the patient and the patients family?
Leadership Qualities Or Traits
• H. Identify and discuss 4 leadership qualities or traits that represent excellence in nursing.
• Name and describe four leadership qualities or traits (characteristics).
• What are some leadership qualities or traits?
• H1. Discuss the significance of the four (4) leadership qualities identified in part H in the
nurse’s role as each of the following:
• As a leader at the bedside.
• As a member of a nursing or interdisciplinary team.
• H2. Identify and discuss how your work environment impacts the following:
• Nursing leadership.
• Decision making.
• Professional development.
• Examples: Does the organization;
• Support clinical decisions?
• Provide education assistance?
• Have a clinical ladder?
• Encourage professional development?
• Use shared Governance?
C304 Task 1
When I think of nursing theory the first person that comes to mind is Florence Nightingale. She is well known for her environmental adaptation theory. In her theory she discusses ventilation and warming, noise, variety, diet, light, cleanliness, and chattering hopes and advices. I feel that her theory influences my values and goals. Her theory is also used every day in the hospital facility I work in (Cherry and Jacob, 2017).
Nightingales theory has influenced my nursing values by ensuring that I provide a safe environment for my patients. Patient rooms should be clean, well lit, and free of clutter to implement non-maleficence. Her theory has influenced my values such as altruism and dignity. I provide individualized care to my patients while respecting their morals. Every…